“The more you read, the more you know; and the more you know, the smarter you grow.”
-Jim Trelease

This blog is ALL about childrens literature from non-fiction to fantasy and everything inbetween..so sit back and skim through the reviews, then go pick up a book a read!



Saturday, February 12, 2011


The Kissing Hand
Author: Audrey Penn
Publisher: Tanglewood Press
Copyright: 1993
Pages: 29
Reading Level: 2
Genre: Picture Book
Rating:****

Summary:
Chester is a raccoon and he doesn’t want to go to school. He would much rather stay home with him Mom, and play with his toys and friends and read his books. His mother though, as any would tell him how much he will love school and all the new people he will meets, books he will read and so on. On top of that she tells him she knows a secret, a very old one that will make his nights at school just as comfortable as when he is home. She takes Chester’s hand and she spreads his fingers into a fan and reaches down and kisses him right in the center of his palm. Now that kiss raced from Chester’s hand to his arm and right up into his heart. This was the kissing hand, now whenever he felt sad, or lonely, or missed home he just had to hold his hand up to his face and think his mother loved him, and that kiss would jump right from his hand to his face and fill him with warmth. Chester loved his kissing hand, and now is mother’s love could go with him wherever he went. That night, before he left for school, he reached out and grabbed his mother’s hand and kissed her right in the center of palm. Now when he was gone she could know that Chester loved her. As he left for school she pushed that hand to her face and she could hear it singing, “Chester loves you”, and fill her heart.

Who would benefit from reading this?
This is a great book for anyone in any transitional phase from the first time going to school, leaving home for the first time, or saying good bye to a loved one for a while. A simple book, that holds a very special message.

Potential problems/conflicts:
I can’t see one problem that anyone would have with this book.

My reaction:
When I read this book I instantly feel in love with it. Though my mom never kissed my hand when I left home, or to school for the first time I have those things that remind me of those I love. Those things that when I am feeling sad or alone, bring me comfort and remind me that I am loved! I made all my roommates listen to me read it to them, and they like me liked it instantly as well. I don’t doubt why it is the New York Times #1 Bestseller.

No comments:

Post a Comment