“The more you read, the more you know; and the more you know, the smarter you grow.”
-Jim Trelease

This blog is ALL about childrens literature from non-fiction to fantasy and everything inbetween..so sit back and skim through the reviews, then go pick up a book a read!



Tuesday, February 8, 2011



Princess Smartypants
Author: Babbette Cole
Publisher: Sandcastle Books
Copyright: 1986
Pages: 29
Reading Level: 2.2
Genre: Picture Book
Rating:*****

Summary:
Princess Smartypants is rich and beautiful but unlike most Princesses, she does not want a Price. She likes being a Ms just fine, and spending all her time with her animals. But like most Mothers, the Queen wants her to get married. So Princesses Smartypants says that she will marry the Prince who can accomplish all the tasks she gives him. So, the Princes come, and off she sends them to do an array of tasks. Well, none of them succeed but, one, Prince Swashbuckle. He breezes through all the tasks she assigns him, and so Princess Smartypants give him a magical kiss...and he turns into a big ugly toad! After that no Princes came in search of gaining Princess Smartypant’s hand. She can be found living happily ever after, single and with all her pets.

Who would benefit from reading this?
This is a great book for young girls especially. Though I am the number one fan of getting married, I also believe that girls should be independent and their own person. You don’t need a man to be happy and this is a true Princess tale that conveys that message. A great read for all ages.

Potential problems/conflicts:
The problems that I see with this book are it may give the impression that girls should just be single. And a lot of parents may not want to read that to their children.

My reaction:
My reaction, HILARIOUS! This books his so much fun. You can’t help but laugh at the pictures, character names, and all the funny situations Princess Smartypants puts the Princes into. It has just enough story line to it, but is short enough to be a quick read, one of my new favorites by far. Honestly I found this book at DI and the title sold me, and lucky for me, the book is just as good as the title makes you suspect it will be.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I think I'm going to try and find it at the library and read it for me!

    ReplyDelete